Monday, November 1, 2010

Ups and Downs

We've been on an emotional roller coaster since Gabriel has come home from the hospital. Gabriel has jaundice, which happens when the baby's liver isn't mature enough to get rid of bilirubin in the bloodstream. His skin and eyes have a yellow tint. Initially his bilirubin levels were normal, but in the first few days home from the hospital his levels began to increase. Within a week his levels reached 20 (25 is considered "Danger Zone" and can cause deafness and brain damage). The Drs were perplexed as to why his levels kept going up. Initially I had to cease breastfeeding and introduce him to formula only. I had planned to exclusively breastfeed Gabriel so this was difficult, but I would do whatever it takes to help him. But then he had to be put on a bili-blanket around the clock. This coupled with not being able to breastfeed became difficult. I couldn't hold Gabriel as much as I wanted and I was worried our bond will be affected.

Today, I am happy to report Gabriel's levels are back down to a 14, which means bye-bye bili-blanket! No more humming and glowing! My baby boy still has to go back to the Dr on Wednesday and Friday for, at least, 2 more heel pokes. But I may be able to reintroduce breast milk by Wednesday. I know we still have a struggle ahead of us, since I haven't breastfed in a week. I have been pumping, but not as often as I would have liked.

1 comment: