Friday, November 19, 2010

1 Month


I can't believe Gabriel has been with us 1 month already. I know all parents say this, but even in my sleepy stupor these past 4 weeks have flew by! Gabriel has almost reached 10 pounds, 22 inches, which is unbelievable since nothing fits him. He is sill a little peanut wearing newborn sizes. Being a mom to a newborn is a thankless job. All he seems to do is eat, poop, sleep (not necessarily in that order) but then something magical happens... he smiles. And I'm not talking a "I'm letting one loose grin". I real genuine smile with eye contact and all. And then maybe a coo. It just melts my heart every time... yes, even at 3am in the morning!

To be honest, it's been hard, especially with a toddler in the mix. Terrell is old enough where he can fend for himself. But what's been the hardest are all the Dr visits and the unknown illnesses that scare even a seasoned Mom like myself. Our latest issue is "Seborrheic Dermatitis". It's thick, crusty scales on his hairline, eyebrows, and behind his ears. Also known as "Cradle Cap". We are treating it with Baby Aquaphor and Hydrocortisone cream. If it doesn't improve in a week, he will be referred to a pediatric dermatologist. What concerns us most is the Dr says there is also a link between seborrheic dermatitis and allergies that appear later. Will has sensitive skin, severe asthma and is allergic to many things from cats to shellfish.

In addition to the skin issues, Gabriel has had bowel issues. I had to stop breastfeeding on short notice due to "Breast Milk Jaundice". I didn't think twice when I used a free full-size sample of Similac that I received in the mail. I was grateful to have this sample on hand since I didn't have formula available. I never intended to bottle-feed. But when Gabriel became so irritable, gassy and had explosive diarrhea I didn't know what was wrong. I thought it was colic or the transition to formula from breast milk, but it wasn't until weeks later that I realized that very formula I was using was recalled. He is finally doing better on a different, gentler brand of formula. Although, I complained about breastfeeding, I was going to continue once the Dr gave the okay. But after weeks of bottle-feeding Gabriel refused to nurse. I tried bottle-feeding expressed milk, but he didn't care for that either. I am disappointed and even feel a little guilty, but I gave it my best shot. There is no reason for us both to get frustrated. We will just continue to bond in other ways. Here's to a healthy, happy baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment