Sunday, November 7, 2010

Breast vs Bottle

As many of you know, Gabriel has been jaundiced since his birth. I'm happy to announce he is safely at a level 9 and his color is beautiful again. Dr's determined Gabriel had "Breast Milk Jaundice" or BMJ. Gabriel will still have to be tested (his poor heels!) but that may be his last blood draw.

In order to stop his levels from rising I had to stop breast feeding for 2 weeks. Although I knew I would breastfeed prior to Gabriel's arrival I hate it. I complain all the time. Of course "Breast is Best" but it doesn't mean it's easiest. For something that is available whenever you need it, it does require a lot of accessories:

Boppy Pillow $35
Nursing Wrap $30
Breast Pump $300
Nursing Bras $20-50 (depending on brand/ quality)
Nursing Pads $10/60... which don't last very long)
Milk Storage Bags $10-15

However, formula does cost $20-30 can which last about 1 week. But there are other drawbacks to breastfeeding. I'm not so comfortable whipping out my breast in public and feeding my baby. I know I have rights, I choose not to exercise those rights. And after 4 pregnancies, the public should probably thank me. In all honesty, I'm more concerned about showing my belly fat than my nipple! Therefore, trips to the mall require a lot of pre-planning.

Nursing also requires special clothing and bras. Think easy access. You won't see me in a dress for awhile.

Another drawback is my husband doesn't have milk filled utters! Which means I am responsible for all the feedings, unless I have expressed milk saved for him.

There is also a lot of pain involved. Most women give up on breastfeeding within the first few weeks because of sore, cracked or bleeding nipples. Once you get passed the initial, torturous weeks it does get better.

And don't even get me started about yellow, mustard-seedy, explosive poops, less sleep (breast milk is less filling) and leaky nipples... wet t-shirt contest here I come!

But then again, "Breast is best"... right?

No comments:

Post a Comment