Saturday, July 31, 2010

What's In A Name

It's been frustrating trying to come up with a name for our baby boy. Who by the way, just might end up being referred to as "Baby Boy" if we don't agree on something soon!

Terrell was named by his "sperm donor"... long story. Basically, I was 15 and his father chose the name. If I got a do-over I would name him something else. Maybe something that wouldn't get him confused with the Sr. who has quite the record.

Olivia was the name of my Cabbage Doll and I always knew I wanted a girl named Olivia. I never knew that every other person would name their girl Olivia since 2007. But I still like it because it's classic and not trendy. Besides she has lots of nicknames to go by.

With our last pregnancy Will fell in love with the name Willow. We knew it wouldn't get the popular vote so we hid it. I didn't want to tell anyone because I didn't want the negative comments, which are so easily dished out when it comes to naming OUR baby. Sadly, Willow went to heaven but she took her name with her; Willow Rose Wardlow.

Had we been pregnant with a girl this time, I feel that we would have pinpointed a name by now. For some reason, it's harder to pick a name for a boy. Now that we got passed the "Willie Jr" discussion (thank God) we have to choose something quickly.

My List:
Maximilian... Has been my top pick forever. I do understand it's a BIG name for a baby. But I'm okay with Max. BTW, Damn you JLo for stealing my baby name!

Gabriel... Archangel Gabriel. What's not to love? Except that it's high on the Top 100 list. Something I want to avoid since the Olivia situation.

Xavier... Another name I've loved for a long time. Until I did some research and I found out that the correct pronunciation (even in the US) is "Zayvier". The X is not pronounced.

Tomás... The reason why I like this name so much is because it is a Spanish and Irish name AND if the accent is over the "o" it is Scottish/ Gaelic. Wardlow is a Scottish last name and I am Hispanic. The downfall is, I think people will just refer to him as Thomas or worse, Tommy!

Jadon... But is it too popular? Too similar to Aidan? This spelling is from the bible.

His List:

Sean... Will seems to love it. I just don't get it.

Ian... I am pretty sure Will got this name from the books about a cartoon pig named Olivia. Her baby brother is named Ian. I definitely am not a fan.

William... Im ok with William. What I don't like is it's too popular (#8 on the Top 100 List) and I fear his family will just call him Lil' Willie.

Max... I prefer my pick, Maximilian, but I'm okay with the nickname Max.

Maxwell... Another Scottish name. Im actually liking this name more, although it's not a top pick of mine.

Darryl... Oh hell no!

I'm sure this debate is going to last until the last minute. Either Will is going to have to give in or he will have to sign all the paperwork while I'm drugged up before we come to a decision. I feel like there may be another, perfect name that's out there. One that we haven't discovered yet. In the meanwhile, I'm still taking suggestions. Just be nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment