Monday, July 5, 2010

Say A Little Prayer

I have a friend who is suffering from cancer. Since his initial surgery to remove the tumor, new tumors have emerged as well as cancer cells within his lungs. After celebrating the birthdays of his 3 beautiful children; Gio, Niko and Lila this weekend, he had to return to the hospital. The tumor that was against his spine was preventing him from walking. Although the Drs were able to remove some of this tumor, they tell him his new situation is inoperable and giving him radiation and chemotherapy may be his only options.

My heart aches for Pepe, Gina and their entire family. I can only imagine what they are going through. They recently purchased a house prior to Pepe being let go from his employer.

Will and I went to see Pepe in the hospital today. He had just gotten out of surgery and although he never opened his eyes, he recognized Will's voice immediately. We held his hand and just talked. I know that Pepe is definitely loved and has a great support system (I can tell from the gang of people waiting to see him at the hospital).

The entire situation made Will and I think about how to support someone who is going through something like this. What are the right words to say after someone is told they have 6-12 months to live? Will and I determined that we are not experienced in this situation and we may NOT say the right things, but it's better than saying nothing at all. Gina and Pepe have always been good friends to us and we plan to be good friends to them. A prayer is said everyday (sometimes more than once). I have no choice but to believe in miracles!

No comments:

Post a Comment