Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Sweetest Thing

Today's topic is courtesy of Faces of Loss, Faces of Hope Monthly Writing Challenge: Write about something special a friend, family member, or other loved one did for you after your baby died that really touched your heart.

After Willow died my friends and family were suddenly at a loss for words. What do you say to a woman that lost the baby inside of her, during her second trimester. And I don't blame them, if I was them at that time I wouldn't know what to say either. While some friends, coworkers and even family avoided me, others reached out the only way they knew how. I received caring cards, fragrant flowers and even a GIANT fruit basket. Some people baked dishes and dropped off treats. I appreciated all the kind gestures. But, by far the sweetest thing anyone has ever done since my baby died was to say her name. Willow. Willow wasn't a fetus or a product of conception. She wasn't just any baby. She was my daughter and she was alive inside of me for 5 1/2 months. She had a name and it was Willow. I'm not afraid to say her name aloud, no matter how sad her loss is to me.

If you know someone who has lost a child, acknowledgment is very important to them. Acknowledge their baby, their baby's birthday, the anniversary of their baby's death or just simply call them by their name. It's the sweetest thing you can do for a baby-loss mother.

2 comments:

  1. So true! The acknowledgment of your baby means a lot to a mom and dad. I know I love hearing my daughter's name!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO very true! Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete